August 06, 2012

Honey Glazed Soya Scones

SAM_2443-001

I've been craving scones for a little while now, until today I hadn't had one for at least a year and while watching my dad and sister tuck into scrummy looking scones slathered with thick cream yesterday for lunch I decided that I had to have one. Unfortunately I can't have milk and therefore couldn't order one of the lovely looking cream teas that my family were enjoying at Kedleston Hall yesterday so I made my own this afternoon.

I used this recipe but replaced the milk & butter with soya milk (alpro soya is my favourite) and dairy free spread (I love Pure dairy free olive spread)

___________

- 8oz Self Raising Flour
- a pinch of salt
- 2oz Dairy Free Spread
- 1oz Caster Sugar
- 5floz Soya Milk
- 1 beaten egg to glaze

1. Rub the butter into the flour and salt then stir in the sugar and milk for a soft wet dough.
2. On a floured surface gently kneed your dough and then pat or roll it to an inch thick.
3. Using a fluted cutter cut out your scones and place onto a greased baking sheet. Don't twist as you cut out the scones as this leads to uneven rising.
4. Be careful not to handle the dough too much when re-rolling.
5. Glaze the tops with beaten eggs (My eggs were out of date and I couldn't find a pastry brush so I skipped this and they turned out just fine).
6. Bake in the oven at 220 degrees (200 fan) for 12-15 minutes until golden and eat any leftovers!
7. Cool on a wire rack.

For the Honey Glaze I just mixed 4oz of icing sugar with about a tablespoon of honey and of milk, more/less for a runnier/thicker glaze. It should be thick enough to just dollop on a little in the middle of each scone and let it spread over the top.

___________

I was quite pleased with my first scones but they didn't rise as well as I'd hoped they would and were a little chewy, any tips?

x



No comments: