January 02, 2011

An Education

image

I love this film, not only has it been nominated for three Academy Awards it has a bunch of my favourite actors in too; Carey Mulligan of course, Dominic Cooper and Rosamund Pike. I realised when watching this film that a lot of my favourite actors cross over into all my favourite films, in An Education you’ve got Carey Mulligan and Rosamund pike who are both in Pride & Prejudice as Jane & Kitty Bennet. In Pride & Prejudice (my all time favourite film by the way) is Keira Knightly who stars in The Duchess alongside Dominic Cooper.

It is of course a love story – although it’s much more about a loss of innocence – but if you know me at all you’ll know that ‘love’ is a must have in any favourite film of mine.

I must say that I think Jenny goes for the wrong guy (clearly that turns out to be true) but even at the beginning I always had a soft spot for the embarrassingly awkward Graham. He is pretty cute don’t you think?

imageimage

As most of my favourite films are, this not set in the present day but in the early 60’s – one of my favourite periods – this means of course that the costume is all gorgeous.Carey is a lucky girl and gets to wear some really lovely things.

imageimage

One of my favourite scenes is where Jenny an Helen get ready. In a beautiful dressing room the ‘tres chic’ Helen gives Jenny un petite makeover while the boys struggle to understand what is taking them so long and end up playing badminton indoors.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

I know that David ends up being an utter twat but before everything turns upside-down the love story between Jenny and David is quite sweet…

imageimage

…and incredibly funny, ‘David! I don't want to lose my virginity to a piece of fruit’

imageimage

Then of course there is the beautiful Paris, full of arty shots, French music and romance.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

and as a picture says a thousand words, here is the rest of the film. I’ll stop my annoying commentary. You can listen to the velvety vocal tones of Beth Rowely.

image

Apart from this, does anyone else slightly wish at this point of the film that Danny and Jenny would get together? I do.imageimageimageimage

imageimage

image

imageimageimage

and this too – I love miss Stubbs house!imageimageimageimageimage

imageimage

Some final pictures from deleted scenes.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

x

No comments: